Nepal’s education system has been advancing quickly to keep up with institutions throughout the world. The youngest education system in the world is being led by 14 institutions in Nepal.
Nepal is renowned for its universities, incredible infrastructure, and inexpensive tuition costs. The universities in Nepal provide courses in engineering, science, management, medicine law, education, art etc. Many students travel to this country because it is economical, has recognized colleges, and has a thriving employment market. Nepalese universities have expanded their programs, research, and facilities to draw in a sizable foreign student body despite having the world’s newest educational system.
How many Universities are there in Nepal?
For a long period, Nepal’s formal educational system was built around gurukuls and homeschooling. The educational system in Nepal has advanced significantly in recent years. With the creation of universities, Nepal achieved a greater educational milestone. A multi-university idea was formed in the country in 1993, expanding educational access in remote areas.
The idea of several colleges has led to the establishment of numerous institutions around the nation. Nepal is home to 14 universities in total and 2 universities are in the planning and in the execution phase. The oldest university in Nepal is Tribhuvan University (TU), which was founded in 1959.
Top 10 Universities in Nepal
This article presents the top 10 universities in Nepal among 14 universities on the basis of quality education, infrastructure, alumni, results, location etc.
1. Tribhuvan University (TU)-Kirtipur Kathmandu
Tribhuvan University – Logo
The first public university in Nepal, Tribhuvan University, was founded in 1959. According to enrollment, TU is considered to be Nepal’s biggest university. additionally the tenth-largest university on the planet. Tribhuvan University provides a wide variety of programs and courses with more than 3000 undergraduate programs and 2000 graduate programs. As of March 2017, the university had 60 component campuses and 1,084 associated institutions spread around the nation.
Faculties on TU
There are many institutes/faculty at Tribhuwan University, they are:
- Institute of Engineering
- Institute of Medicine
- Institute of Forestry
- Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science
- Institute of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Education
Tribhuvan University Councils
There are five councils as the decision-making bodies of the university:
- University Council
- Executive Council
- Academic Council
- Research Coordination Council
- Planning Council
They also provide over 288 courses, a few of them are as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts-BA – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Business Management (BBM) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor of Information Management (BIM) – Tribhuvan University
- Sc. Computer Science and Information Technology (B.SC. CSIT) – Tribhuvan University
- 3 Year LLM – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor in Aerospace Engineering – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (BASLP) – Tribhuvan University
- Bachelor in Automobile Engineering – Tribhuvan University
2. Kathmandu University (KU)-Dhulikhel, Kavre
Kathmandu University, a non-profit public higher education school, was founded in 1991 and is situated in the rural community of the significant town of Dhulikhel (population range: 10,000–49,999), in the Bagmati Pradesh region. Kathmandu University (KU), a small (uniRank enrollment range: 2,000-2,999 students) coeducational Nepalese higher education institution, has received official recognition from the Ministry of Education of Nepal.
Kathmandu University (KU) provides courses and programs leading to degrees in a variety of fields of study, including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. For further information, see the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below. This 31-year-old higher education school in Nepal has strict admissions criteria based on applicants’ prior academic performance and grades as well as entrance exams. This Nepalese higher education organization is a relatively selective university with an entrance rate range of 60-70%. The application process is open to candidates from abroad.
In addition, KU offers students a number of academic and extracurricular facilities and services, such as a library, accommodation, sports facilities, financial assistance and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, as well as administrative services.
Schools under Kathmandu University
The 7 different schools of Kathmandu University are:
- School of Arts
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- School of Law
- School of Management
- School of Medical Sciences
- School of Science
The senators that make up the university’s Senate manage it. The members of the Senate are the following: Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Member-Secretary, and Observers. The Senate, Executive Council, Academic Council, and the University Deans are responsible for running and overseeing Kathmandu University. The University’s Administration is in charge of developing the institution’s policies and initiatives.
3. Pokhara University (PoU)-Pokhara, Kaski
Pokhara University (PoU) was laid out in 1997 under Pokhara University Act, 1997. The focal office of the college is located in the Western Development Region 13km east of Pokhara city. Like Purbanchal University, Pokhara University was framed as a piece of the public authority’s strategy for better-advanced education. The Respected Prime Endlessly clergyman of Education are the Chancellor and the Pro-Chancellor separately.
Comparatively the enlistment centre is designated to help them in monetary administration and general organization. Pokhara University runs under the government’s assets and partnered montages turnover pay. Pokhara University is a non-benefit organization. Under Pokhara University the Bachelor’s certificates program is four years stretched out in eight semesters and the Master’s Degree is of two years containing four semesters. The understudy who likes to concentrate on an M.Phil degree is a one and half year program containing three semesters.
Resources Provided by Pokhara University are:
- Personnel of Sciences and Technology
- Personnel of Management Studies
- The workforce of Social Sciences and Humanities
Practically in excess of 25,000 understudies through and through in 45 projects are related under various disciplines.
Vision/Mission of Pokhara University:
Quality training ought to be important to acquire a few changes in country HR so that college understudies embrace decisive ability to reason, produce positive reaction/mentality towards their tasks, and improve potential outcomes through seriousness. As a dream, the college needs to be a forerunner in advancing advanced education through subjective training, well-being and local area improvement/administrations.
Forming the foundation into a focal point of greatness in advanced education by improving great fledge educating, learning and examination exercises through various development to deliver work market-driven, mindful, useful and producing committed HR. Vision/Mission can be separated into long haul and transient objectives by chasing after greatness and quality in all parts of the University’s exercises and administrations in administrative and practical difficulties for future turns of events.
Pokhara University started different scholastic exercises as directed by the public authority’s demonstration beginning around 1996. The significant capability or point is to create gifted and proficient HR important for the country building advancement exercises by giving quality instruction. To satisfy these prerequisites the college has fostered its four constituent schools for lone wolves and graduate degrees. The college likewise attempts its program in confidential cooperation working together with 49 scholastic foundations under PoU alliance for single man, ace, m.phil, and ph.d. Degrees.
4. Purbanchal University (PU)– Gothgaun, Morang
Purbanchal University is a state-funded college which is obviously situated on a basic level of the eastern locale of Nepal arranged in Biratnagar with an extensive premise north of 545 hectares of land, in a monetary focal point of Nepal. Purbanchal University is a main granting college in different lone wolf and expert projects. Purbanchal University was laid out in 1993 by the Government of Nepal to imagine a scholarly focus of greatness.
The college is dedicated to greatness in picking up, educating and researching, and creating pioneers in different disciplines which make difference universally. The significant job of college was characterized as a focal specialist in advancing financial changes in Nepal through quality schooling guaranteed for a manageable and quality way of life. The college is given certain targets of refining, creating, taking on, changing and refining information. There are 128 arrangements subsidiary with Purbanchal college including constituent grounds. Different projects are given by Purbanchal University connection under various alumni and expert’s resources showing to exceptionally presumed University heads:
The foundation of Purbanchal University has overpowered different metropolitan and rustic regions individuals to concentrate on additional advanced education inside the country. Since the college is a state-funded college, the understudy can concentrate on the additional degree program in a reasonable charge structure which assumes a significant part in scholarly advancement and quality training.
Since the foundation of the college, the fundamental vision or mission is to foster a superior model in satisfying the country’s scholarly prerequisite in schooling going about as a focal point of greatness in public and worldwide fields. The college’s mission is to screen recent concerns and carry out supportable advancement techniques in the country for the upliftment of each and every human race in monetary and monetary turn of events.
Aside from being a state-funded college, the Purbanchal University understood its job as the connection point among public and confidential scholastic organizations to give better cooperation and reasonable courses to concentrate on climate in mass for the endurance of good administration and self-food.
5. Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU)– Rampur, Chitwan
Another state institution with an agricultural focus is the Agricultural and Forestry University (AFU), which has its main campus in Rampur, Chitwan. The two Tribhuvan University campuses that made up this institution were combined under the authority of the Nepalese parliament in June 2010.
Through instruction, research, and extension initiatives around the nation, the institution supports research in agriculture, forestry, and related fields and offers agricultural workforce development. AFU provides programs in agricultural sciences at the undergraduate, graduate, and PhD levels.
Faculties of AFU
- Faculty of Agriculture, Rampur, Chitwan
- Faculty of Animal sciences, veterinary and Fisheries, Rampur, Chitwan
- Faculty of Forestry, Hetauda, Makawanpur
- College of Natural Resource Management, Puranchaur, Kaski
- College of Natural Resource Management, Kapilakot, Sindhuli
- College of Natural Resource Management, Pakhribas, Dhankuta
- College of Natural Resource Management, Tikapur, Kailali
- College of Natural Resource Management, Bardibas, Mahottari
- College of Natural Resource Management, Katari, Udayapur
- College of Natural Resource Management, Madichaur, Rolpa
6. Mid-West University (MWU)-Birendranagar, Surkhet
Mid-West University (MU) is an independent, public institution of higher learning with the goal of providing the benefits of higher education to the Nepali people as well as enriching the global learning community. On June 17, 2010 A.D., the Government of Nepal established it by a Parliament Act.
Mid-Western University is still in the planning stages and has a long way to go before it is fully operational, but it already enjoys strong political backing from the major parties and, more importantly, the enthusiastic support of the local populace. The founding of Mid-West University signifies the realization of a long-held ambition of the local populace, who in particular set a particularly admirable example by contributing to a fundraising campaign for the institution.
Constituent Campuses of Mid-West University
- Central Campus of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Central Campus of Education
- Central Campus of Management
- Central Campus of Science and Technology
- Central Campus of Engineering
- Central Campus of Law
- Bageshwari Multiple Campus, Kohalpur Banke
- Babai Multiple Campus, Gulariya, Bardiya
- Narayan Multiple Campus, Dailekh
- Tila Karnali Multiple Campus, Kalikot
- Rara Multiple Campus, Mugu
- Musikot Khalanga Multiple Campus, Rukum
- Bheri Gyanodaya Multiple Campus, Jajarkot
- Jaljala Multiple Campus, Rolpa
- Bheri Multiple Campus, Gumi, Surkhet
- Vidhyapur Janata Multiple Campus, Surkhet
Lumbini Buddhist University is a tertiary instructive organization in Lumbini, Nepal, the Birthplace of Gautam Buddha. The thought behind the foundation of this college was imagined from the principal world Buddhist culmination held in 1998 and not long after in 2004 the college was laid out. In this college, they offer long-term courses for a single guy in Buddhism as well as MA and PhD courses.
Affiliated Schools of Lumbini Buddhist University
- Lumbini Academic College of Buddhism and Himalayan Studies
- Lotus Academic College
- Sugat Bouddha Mahavidyalaya
- Buddha Multiple Campus
- Lumbini International Academy of Science and Technology
- Sowa Rigpa International College
- Jiri Buddhist College
- Theravada Buddhist Academy
8. Far-Western University (FWU)-Mahendranagar, Kanchanpur
In order to serve as the top academic institution in the nation in terms of academic excellence, research-based education, community engagement, and partnership, Far Western University (FWU) was founded in 2010 by an Act of Parliament. FWU is a government-funded national university.
The university’s main office is situated in the Bhimdatta Municipality in Nepal’s Far West Province’s Kanchanpur district. The Far West Province’s University Central Campus and its affiliated campuses are strategically located there, giving locals access to higher education and creating a chance for the region’s overall growth.
To gain recognition as a prime university committed to providing quality education, and enhancing research and innovation to meet the needs of society.
Constituent Campuses of Far-Western University
- Central Campus
- Tikapur Multiple Campus
- Darchula Multiple Campus
- Bajura Campus
- Triveni Multiple Campus
- Ghanteshwar Seti Mahakali Multiple Campus
- Sitaram Multiple Campus
- Janata Multiple Campus
- Jayaprithivi Multiple Campus
- Badimalika Campus
- Manilek Multiple Campus
- Patan Multiple Campus
- Jagannath Multiple Campus
- Gokuleshwor Multiple Campus
Through its affiliated campuses in the nine districts of Far West Province, FWU has been doing its part to ensure that higher education is accessible to the local population.
9. नेपाल संस्कृत विश्वविद्यालय (University of Sanskrit)-Belijhundi, Dang
Nepal Sanskrit University, formerly known as Mahendra Sanskrit University, is situated 13 kilometres from the main campus at Ghorahi in Belijhundi, Dang. This institution, which was founded in 1986, provides graduate and doctoral programs in both traditional and contemporary disciplines at the Intermediate or Uttar Madhyama, Bachelor or Shastri, Masters or Acharya, and Doctoral levels. Around the nation, the university has 12 components and 13 associated Vidhyapithas (campuses).
They conduct programs on Vedic and Buddhist teachings and provide their students with degree- and non-degree-granting research papers based on the Sanskrit language. The NSU’s affiliated universities are:
- Valmiki Vidyapeeth, Kathmandu
- Pindeshwori Vidhyapeeth, Sunsari
- Janata Vidhyapeeth, Dang District, Bijauri
- Bishow Vidyalaya Vidhyapeeth, Dang
- National Ayurveda Vidyapeeth, Dang
- Kalika Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Nawalpur
- Harihar Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Argakhanchi
- Sharada Vidyapeeth, Kanchanpur
- BPK Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Solukhumbu
- Bhanu Sanskrit Vidhyapeeth, Tanahun
- Vindabashini Vidhyapeeth, Kaski
- YaLaNa Vidyapeeth, Mahottari
- RuRu Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Gulmi
- Janakhajari Vidyapeeth, Dhanusha
- Radhadamodar Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Syanga
The college was laid out for the accompanying purposes:
- To satisfy the requirement for an independent establishment for instructing/learning exercises and examination of Sanskrit at many levels.
- Arranging Sanskrit training up to the most elevated level in the country.
- Protecting and advancing Sanskrit training in areas of Nepalese society.
10. Nepal Open University (NOU)-Lalitpur
The government of Nepal founded the Nepal Open University in 2073 B.S. (2016) through an act of parliament with Act No. 3 of 2073 authorized on March 30, 2073. This is among the top open university in Nepal, and it has the same legal standing as other universities there. The vice-chancellor serves as both the academic and administrative leader. The head of the university’s personnel and financial administration is known as the Registrar.
The university was founded with the intention of increasing access to higher education for populations that are underserved by traditional higher education. Therefore, the university is currently working to develop programs that are inclusive, pertinent to the needs of the country in developing knowledge society, and capable of training young for the Nepali labour market as well as the global one. Modern information and communication technology is being used by NOU to conduct programs through distant learning online. Science and technology, technical and vocational education, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary courses, and other priority areas for higher education as identified in higher education policy, are the major focus of this educational program.
Faculties at Nepal Open University
- Faculty of Science, Health and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences & Education
- Faculty of Management & Law
Other Universities in Nepal
Among 14 Universities in Nepal, 10 universities are already covered in the above section. The remaining universities that have been educating the students are listed below.
- Rajarshi Janak University (RJU) in Janakpur
- Manmohan Technical University (MTU) in Budhiganga
- Gandaki University (GU) in Pokhara
- Madhesh Agricultural University (MAU)
- Khwopa University (Proposed)
- Nepal University, Gaindakot (Proposed)
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Which is the No 1 university in Nepal?
Answer: Tribhuvan University, which is ranked 801–1000 in the world, is the highest-ranking institution in Nepal.
Question: How many universities are in Nepal?
Answer: There are currently 14 universities in Nepal, and two more universities, Khwopa and Nepal University are in the planning phase. The oldest university in Nepal is Tribhuvan University (TU), founded in 1959 AD, whereas the most recent institution is Gandaki University (GU), founded in 2019 AD.
Question: Which is the biggest university in Nepal?
Answer: Nearly 400,000 students are served by Tribhuvan University, the largest institution of higher learning in Nepal, through its affiliated institutions, central departments, and constituent campuses. Education, humanities and social sciences, law, and management are among the faculties.
That’s all about the Top 20 Best Engineering Colleges in Nepal, also refer to our recently published article about Top 20 Engineering Colleges in Nepal to know further about the Engineering institutes in Nepal.