Bachelor of Public Health BPH in Nepal is a 4-year Program that offers a single intake throughout the year. The BPH curriculum includes a variety of core courses that cover a variety of public health topics, such as epidemiology, community diagnosis, research methodology, health management, public health statistics/biostatistics, population health, health promotion and education, and environmental health. Public health is a field of study that prepares professionals who can help protect the public’s health. This course provides a basic understanding of public health and health care concepts.
Public health is a four-year course system that is spread over four years. It provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and manage health problems in a population. Merit is the primary factor used to select students. Students must be at least 80% present for exam registration. Each college is allowed to admit 40 students into the Bachelor of Public Health program each year.
Admission Requirements for BPH in Nepal
The Nepal Health Professional Council (NHPC) published the requirements for entry-level admission to the Bachelor in Public Health Program back in 2061. In 2068 BS, the minimum standards underwent further assessment and revision.
The NHPC minimum requirements have resulted in some substantial adjustments to the admission standards for course enrollment, faculty eligibility, curriculum requirements, and course length.
Students must fulfil the following requirements in order to enrol in BPH in Nepal.
The candidate must hold a Proficiency Certificate in Science or a Certificate in Health Sciences with a minimum of 50% from a recognized organization or authority, or an intermediate or +2 degree in Science in the Biology stream.
Objectives of the Program
- Development of measurement, planning, analysis, and evaluation abilities for applied public health sciences research and program administration is one of the course goals for the Bachelor of Public Health (BPH).
- Develop your knowledge of the epidemiological elements of illnesses and the healthcare system.
- Encourage health professionals to have a positive outlook and to offer disadvantaged communities and groups more equal and accessible Primary Health Care services.
- Introduce and expand your understanding of public health, primary health care, the evolution of health systems, health economics, nutrition, and environmental health.
Fee Structure of BPH in Nepal
The Medical Education Commission (MEC) reports that the cost of a 4-year Bachelor of Public Health program in Nepal is NPR 7,50,000. However, a student may be charged 50k-75k more on the basis of facilities provided, community visits and other miscellaneous activities.
Examination Format of BPH
- Question type: Single best response type of multiple-choice questions
- Option: Four options (A, B, C, D)
- Number of questions: 200
- Full marks: 200
- Cognitive Ratio: Recall: Understanding: Application – 30:50:20
- Duration: 3 hours
Marks Weightage for BPH in Nepal
|1.||Biology, origin and evolution of life||4|
|2.||General characteristics and classification of protozoa to Chordata.||8|
|3.||Plasmodium, earthworm and frog,||8|
|4.||Human biology and human diseases||14|
|6.||Environmental pollution, adaptation and animal behaviour, application of zoology||2|
|7.||The basic component of life and biodiversity||11|
|8.||Ecology and environment||5|
|9.||Cell biology and genetics||12|
|10.||Anatomy and physiology||7|
|11.||Developmental and applied botany||5|
|12.||General and physical chemistry||15|
|16.||Heat and thermodynamics||5|
|17.||Geometrical optics and physical optics||5|
|18.||Current electricity and magnetism||7|
|19.||Sound waves, electrostatics and capacitors||5|
|20.||Modern physics and nuclear physics||5|
|21.||Solid and semiconductor devices (electronics)||2|
|22.||Particle physics, source of energy and universe||2|
|e.||Prerequisite Health Knowledge (Basic Concepts)||20|
|23.||Determinants of health and illness||5|
|24.||Communicable diseases including vector-borne diseases and zoonotic diseases||5|
|26.||Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)||2|
|27.||The basic concept of biostatistics and epidemiology||5|
|f.||Mental Agility Test (MAT)||20|
|31.||Spatial relation / Abstract reasoning||5|
Bachelor of Public Health BPH Colleges in Nepal
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is offered by the three major Universities in Nepal. They are listed below:
- Tribhuvan University
- Purbanchal University
- Pokhara University
BPH Colleges in Nepal-Tribhuvan University
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Institute of Medicine, Tribhuvan University- Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science- Lalitpur
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC)- Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Janaki Medical College (JMC)
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital (UCMS)
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science (MMIHS)
- Gandaki Medical College (JMC)
BPH Colleges in Nepal-Pokhara University
Pokhara University offers a Bachelor of Public Health under the faculty of Health Sciences. Pokhara University, via its Bachelor of Public Health Program, aims to equip students with essential technical and scientific understanding to work in different health care programs.
These colleges provide BPH in affiliation with Pokhara University.
- LA Grande International College- Simalchaur, Pokhara, Kaski
- Nobel College- Singamangal, Kathmandu
- National Open College (NOC)- Sanepa, Lalitpur
- Pokhara University, School of Health and Allied Sciences- Khudi, Lekhnath, Kaski
- CIST College- New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
BPH Colleges in Nepal-Purbanchal University
Purbanchal University has an objective to prepare public health specialists with optimum technical, scientific and managerial skills.
- Nepal Institute of Health Sciences (NIHS), Stupa, Bouddha, Kathmandu
- National Academy for Medical Sciences (NAMS), Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Yeti Health Science Academy, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Karnali College of Health Sciences, Ratopul, Kathmandu
- Valley College of Technical Sciences, Mid Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Little Buddha College, Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
- Om Health Campus, Chahabil, Kathmandu
- Hope International College, Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Asian College for Advance Studies, Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Chakrabarti Habi Education Academy, Rajkuloroad, Thimi, Bhaktpur
- Koshi Health Science Campus, Biratnagar
- Unique Educational Academy, Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Saptarishi Health Science College, Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Shree Medical and Technical College, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Oasis Medical College, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Sanjeevani Health Science College, Butwal, Rupandehi
- Eden Berg International College, Biratnagar, Morang
- Birat Health College and Research Centre, Biratnagar, Morang
As mentioned above, each of these colleges offers 40 seats for BPH applicants per year.
How are the Pupils Assessed?
Students’ success in this program is assessed both internally and externally. Internal examiners and concerned professors administer the internal examination using a variety of assessment tools, including quizzes, lab work, home assignments, internal examinations, term papers, class participation, attendance, class assessments, and so forth.
On the other hand, the year-end exams administered by the Office of the Controller of Examinations of the relevant institutions are included in the external examinations. Practical, field practice, internships, demonstrations, VIVA, presentations, etc. are all included in the external evaluation.
BPH Jobs in Nepal
Graduates of Public Health can find rewarding careers with a variety of public, commercial, non-profit, and governmental organizations. The following industries employ the graduates most frequently:
- Governmental Bodies (as a Public Health Officer in the Government of Nepal) (as a Public Health Officer in the Government of Nepal)
- University (Education and Research) Health Organizations engaged in several facets of Public Health, such as nutrition, vaccines, and disaster preparedness.
- Health Research Council
- Healthcare Center
Salary of BPH in Nepal
The starting salaries for new Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) professionals would range from 4 to 6 lakhs per year. The annual salary for skilled professionals will be between 6 and 8 lakhs. However, if you want to pursue your career in other BPH-related fields such as lecturer, medical sales representative, health service manager, community development worker etc, then you can expect the following income per month.
- BPH Lecturer: NRs. 25,000 to NRs. 60,000
- Medical Sales Representative: NRs. 20,000 to NRs. 35,000
- Health Service Manager: NRs. 30,000 to NRs. 90,000
- Health Promotion Specialist: NRs. 30,000 to NRs. 88,000
- Community Development Worker: NRs. 22,000 to NRs. 53,000
- Social Worker: NRs. 25,000 to NRs. 60,000
Keep in mind that this is only a broad range and that salaries might vary based on the type of company. In addition, you can enrol in a Master in Public Health program or other programs linked to health in Nepal or overseas.
This is all about the 4-year bachelor in Public Health BPH in Nepal. We discussed the eligibility Criteria, the fee structure of BPH in Nepal, Subjects, scope, salaries etc in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Q. What is the Fee Structure of BPH in Nepal?
A. The Medical Education Commission (MEC) reports that the cost of a 4-year Bachelor of Public Health program in Nepal is NPR 7,50,000. However, a student may be charged 50k-75k more on the basis of facilities provided, community visits and other miscellaneous activities.
Q. What is the Salary of a BPH officer in Nepal?
A. The starting salaries for new Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) professionals would range from 4 to 6 lakhs per year. The annual salary for skilled professionals will be between 6 and 8 lakhs per anum on average.
Q. Who can study BPH in Nepal?
A. The applicant must have earned a certificate or proficiency in a health science field (general medicine, health lab, radiography, physiotherapy, health education and sanitation, Ayurveda, ophthalmology, nursing, etc.) with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 50%. He or she ought to have passed Intermediate Level I.
Q. Which is the best college for BPH in Nepal?
- Central Department of Public Health at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) at Tribhuvan University (TU).
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science.
- Chitwan School of Medical Sciences.
- Bhairawaha’s Universal College of Medical Sciences
- Gandaki Medical College Pokhara, Kaski.